Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Must Go Down to the Sea Again






"I Must Go Down to the Sea again"

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

- John Masefield"
This is one of my most favorite poems..It says it all for me of the longing for the sea!!!
Oh I so want to go back to the sea today...I don't mean the quiet bays and waterways of Vancouver..no I mean the wild and windy west of Vancouver Island or Oregon..I miss the smell of low tide..feel of the wind on your face, walking on soft sand...sighing

8 comments:

Lorrie said...

Oh my - this takes me back to grade 5 when we had to memorize this poem. I've always loved it, and quote it to my husband at times (well, the first few lines that I remember). There really is nothing like a wild windy day at the ocean. I'll sniff some sea air for you.

Lorrie

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem. I too love the sea and wished I lived close to one.


Willow

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely! Spending time near the sea is a wonderful place to be. Wishing you a fabulous weekend. Blessings, Tammy

Martha's Favorites said...

What a beautiful poem. I love to watch a sunset on the ocean. Wishing you a visit to your favorite ocean soon. Thanks for remembering me in your prayers. Blessings, Martha

Natasha Burns said...

What a great poem! I love that smell too, I just got back from the sea and I miss it! I hope you get there soon :)

Unknown said...

Ooooh, do I love the sea! I used to live on the sea side and I do miss walking on the beach and beach combing.

What a beautiful poem!

Unknown said...

Betty Ann, I left you a gift on my blog! go check it out!

Sea Witch said...

Hello Bettyann! It is only fitting that your posting is one of my favorite poems by John Masefield. As a sister of the sea, I am delighted to tell you that you ar the WINNER of my "A Sea Witch in Paris Giveway." Please send me your mailing address so I can get your frenchie win in the mail. My email address is needthis@bellsouth.netg Sea Witch